Tips for Selling a Home
Selling your home is a big decision that occurs for many reasons including career relocation, upgrading for a growing family or downsizing as you plan for retirement. Whatever the circumstance, it is important to be comfortable with your choice to sell your home and the time frame in which you wish to do it.
Once you have decided to sell, there are many factors to consider before placing a “For Sale” sign on your front lawn. Here are a few tips to help make the process a little easier.
Preparing Your Home for Sale:
- Look at your home like a retailer would, you want to showcase all the good and unique features! There is a reason that large home builders stage and decorate there homes, beauty sells!!!
- Touch up the paint on interior and exterior walls, windows and doors.
- Remodel, if within your budget, to upgrade outdated rooms.
- A new coat of paint can go a long way!
- Repair damaged flooring.
- Shampoo carpets, especially in heavy traffic areas.
- Remove clutter, like excess furniture, decorations and toys to make the living space more welcoming. This will also allow potential buyers to easily view all corners of the rooms.
- Depersonalize your home by removing photographs. It can help potential buyers picture themselves in your home!
- Rent or borrow storage space for boxes from your decluttering and depersonalization efforts!
- Invest in air fresheners to add a fresh, clean scent to your home.
- Improve your home’s curb appeal by:
- Cleaning sidewalks, pathways and gutters.
- Maintaining the landscape including the lawn, flowers and shrubbery.
- After all, the outside of your home is the first thing a potential buyer person will see!
- Locate documentation for any repairs or upgrades made to your home.
- Make arrangements to remove pets for showings.